Simple Suppers Made Stunning is all about being clever with ingredients. You don't have to spend a fortune to create a truly special dish. I tend to cook by sight and taste so don't expect exact quantities. Season and flavour to your own taste buds. Enjoy!

Friday 9 November 2012

Scrooge Soup

I don't plan recipes for this Blog. I am on a limited budget so the price of food tends to dictate what I cook, which means seasonal or reduced! This soup is something I cook on a regular basis if I have left over vegetables. By 'leftover' I mean uncooked and staring at me accusingly as they shrivel slightly in the bottom of the fridge, I do not  mean cooked veg from a roast. That takes the term leftovers to an unacceptable level!


The following ingredients are typical of a Scrooge Soup. The only thing I will say is red or white cabbage and string beans are not suitable for this recipe. It's also helpful if you have at least two out of the 'holy trinity' of garlic, chilli and ginger.


3 Carrots, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
2 Peppers, chopped
Half a Cauliflower
2 Potatoes, chopped
1.5 Litre Chicken or Vegetable Stock
3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 tsp Celery Salt
2 tsps Dried Parsley
1 tsp Dried Coriander Leaf

1 Red Chilli, seeds in or out depending on taste.
Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper
3 tablespoons Olive Oil

Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Put all the veg, garlic and chilli in and fry over a medium heat  for a few minutes. Add the coriander, parsley and celery salt and fry until you can smell the herbs. Season well and pour in the stock.


Cover and simmer for 45 minutes until the veg is tender. Blend and Voila! Easy, Simple and very Tasty.
Freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment