Simple Suppers Made Stunning is all about being clever with ingredients. You don't have to spend a fortune to create a truly special dish. I tend to cook by sight and taste so don't expect exact quantities. Season and flavour to your own taste buds. Enjoy!

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Thai Fish Cakes

I'm not the first person in the world to have cooked this and I'm sure I won't be the last. I wanted to have a go because there are so many different recipes out there and after a bit of research, I think I have managed to amalgamate the best of them. I made these with basic frozen supermarket fish, which at around £5 a kilo is pretty cheap. I don't think you need to use madly expensive fish for this recipe because YOU are adding all the flavour and taste and should take credit for creating something quite gorgeous.



500g/1lb 2oz White Fish
1 tbsp Thai Fish Sauce 
1 tbsp Thai Red Curry paste
2 tbsp chopped Coriander
4 Spring Onions, finely sliced
1 Egg White
1 Red Chilli, finely chopped
2 Cloves garlic, minced.
1 Lime, juice and zest
Handful of Green Beans, finely chopped.
Cornflour
Vegetable Oil for frying

 

Pulse the white fish in a food processor until well chopped but not too smooth. Transfer into a large bowl. Add the green beans, chilli, garlic, red curry paste, fish sauce, spring onions, lime and coriander and mix well. Add the egg white. At this stage I felt my mixture was a little wet and American recipes for this dish use a tablespoon of cornflour to solve this. The mix was fine after I did this.
 
 
The most important thing to do is to CHILL your mixture for at least a couple of hours. Ensure you cover it well or it will stink your fridge out!  I didn't use flour to shape my fish cakes. I oiled my hands and shaped as I was ready to fry. You can make them small or large. Heat your oil and drop a cube of bread in. If this turns brown quickly then you are ready to fry.





Fry them in batches of 5 or 6. When they rise to the surface, turn the heat down by a third and turn them over. Watch them carefully. Drain well on kitchen towel and repeat for subsequent batches.



If you are serving them straight away then keep them warm in a low oven until all are cooked. I made these for a party and they were stored in the fridge overnight and put into a hot oven for 7 minutes the next day. Serve with sweet chilli dipping sauce or a cucumber salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment